My quarantine

Since a whole year ago, many things have happened. The pandemic has affected us all negatively, some more than others.

I am going to share with you the troubles I have faced during the pandemic which some of you may relate to.

It has been a difficult time for my family and I. Though, there has been a light at the end of the tunnel which has come with many lessons and realizations.

Around the same time, my grandma, my mom’s mom, was beginning numerous tests to ultimately find out she has dementia.

It has been really difficult getting through conversations with her because she has no short term memory, but I try to visit her everyday. It is hard having to sit there and answer the same questions over and over again.

I can not even begin to understand how it must feel for her though, not being able to remember anything including her family. Through her struggle, I have understood that love triumphs over everything and I would be happy to answer my grandma’s questions over and over again.

On September 3, my dad woke up struggling to speak and my mom rushed him to the hospital. I thought it was some sort of allergic reaction so I virtually attended first period like everything was normal.

Without any updates the entire first period, I felt that it was only appropriate to take the rest of the day off. My brother also decided to take the rest of the day off from work.

While we were all sitting in the living room waiting for updates, my aunt called my mom informing her that it was most likely my grandma’s, my dad’s mom’s, last day with us. After the phone call, my mom receives a phone call from my dad telling us that after many tests, they concluded that he had a stroke.

I remember leaving the room in tears, going outside and just screaming. I was so mad at the world.

It took me quite a while to relax and compose myself. Inside, I knew he was going to be okay but I just wanted him home. He had to stay the night at the hospital.

At 12:30 in the morning, my mother received a phone call from my aunt saying that my grandmother had passed peacefully. At that moment, I just felt bad for my father. He was let out of the hospital at around 5:00 the next evening.

That entire day was so eye opening for me. I had taken for granted that I have a family who loves me unconditionally. I felt that I needed to be a better daughter and person.

From that day forward, I have worked on bettering myself everyday whether that be physically or mentally.

If anyone is going through anything at all, just relax, try to be at peace and continue to better yourself every second of every day. This could be through your schoolwork and grades, athletics or even extra family-time.

Since then, I have cherished every single moment with the people around me, my friends and family. Over this entire year of quarantine, I have realized the importance of family and love, and I hope others have as well.


Recent Posts

See All